2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge Course Announced
After receiving bids from dozens of Colorado towns and cities, USA Pro Cycling Challenge officials announced the 2012 course today.
The race will kick off in Durango on Monday, Aug. 20, cross Independence Pass again and pass through Aspen, Beaver Creek and Breckenridge. On the second to last day, Boulder will host a finish for the first time. It ends in Denver on Sunday, Aug. 26 with a time trial.
“The race really builds to what we think will be a phenomenal finish in the city of Denver,” says Brian Farris, chief operating officer of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge.
Farris says about 40 Colorado cities expressed interest in hosting a start or finish of the race. And he says the new start in Durango will expose viewers and spectators to the four corners area of the state.
“We want to continue to keep the race fresh and bring it to new towns, and really underline that sense of exploration to the state of Colorado,” he says.
The host cities and stages of the 2012 USA Pro Challenge include:
- Stage 1 -- Monday, Aug. 20 -- Durango – Telluride
- Stage 2 -- Tuesday, Aug. 21 -- Montrose – Crested Butte/Mt. Crested Butte
- Stage 3 -- Wednesday, Aug. 22 -- Gunnison – Aspen
- Stage 4 -- Thursday, Aug. 23 -- Aspen – Beaver Creek/Vail Valley
- Stage 5 -- Friday, Aug. 24 -- Breckenridge – Colorado Springs
- Stage 6 -- Saturday, Aug. 25 -- Golden – Boulder
- Stage7/TT -- Sunday, Aug. 26 -- Denver