Medicare Deadlines Pushed Forward This Year
For 630,000 Coloradans enrolled in Medicare, it's time to make decisions. The period for open enrollment has been moved up this year.
Instead of the usual deadline of Dec. 31, the enrollment period begins Oct. 15 and will close Dec. 7. The change was designed to avoid deadlines coinciding with the end-of-year holiday season.
Medicare officials are scrambling to spread the word about the new deadline. "We worry about inertia," says Colorado Medicare spokesman Mike Fierberg.
Health plans change, so Medicare officials advise patients to review both their health and prescription drug coverage plans. One-on-one counseling is available for patients at Colorado’s Medicare beneficiary helpline, at 1-800-727-7086.
Informational meetings, sponsored by the Colorado Gerontological Society, are also being offered throughout the state.
Beneficiaries need the following for open enrollment: Their Medicare card; a list of all prescription medications currently being taken; and the name and address of the pharmacy they prefer to use.
Additional information about Medicare services is available at www.Medicare.gov or 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), 24 hours a day.
‘Medicare Monday’ events scheduled statewide
Numerous open enrollment events are scheduled across the state in upcoming weeks. These instructional meetings, called “Medicare Monday,” are sponsored by the Colorado Gerontological Society. Reservations are required to avoid overflow crowds.
One-on-one sessions are also available for Colorado patients at 1-800-727-7086. For readers who don’t have computer access, help is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
Monday, Oct. 17 (all 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.)
- Northglenn, Senior Center, 11801 Community Center Drive; reservations, 303-450-8841
- Grand Junction, Commons of Hilltop, 625 27 ½ Road; reservations 866-499-5723
- Colorado Springs, Inn at Garden Plaza, 2520 Int’l Circle; reservations 866-499-5723
- Centennial, Holly Creek, 5500 E. Peakview Ave; reservations 303-713-9004
- Aurora, St. Andrews Village, 13801 E. Yale; reservations 303-695-8100
- Littleton, RiverPointe, 5225 S. Prince; reservations, 303-797-0600
- Denver, Windsor Gardens, 597 S. Clinton St.; reservations, 866-499-5723
- Alamosa, Bridge at Alamosa, 3407 Carroll St. (behind Wal-Mart); reservations 866-499-5723
- Pueblo, YMCA, 3200 E. Spaulding Ave.; reservations 866-499-5723
Monday, Oct. 24
- Greeley, Senior Center, 1010 6th St., 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.; reservations 866-499-5723
- Englewood, Meridian, 3455 S. Corona St., 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.; reservations 866-499-5723
- Westminster, Life Care Center, 7751 Zenobia, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.; reservations 866-499-5723
Monday, Oct. 31
- Denver, The Argyle, 4115 W. 38th Ave, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.; reservations 866-499-5723
- Carbondale, Third Street Center, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.; reservations 866-499-5723
- Thornton, Villas at Sunny Acres, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.; reservations 303-255-4155