Military

4:45pm

Thu March 22, 2012
The Two-Way

Afghan Suspect To Be Charged With 17 Counts Of Murder

Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales during an August 2011 training exercise at Fort Irwin, Calif.
Spc. Ryan Hallock AFP/Getty Images

The Army soldier suspected of going on a shooting rampage in Afghanistan will be charged with 17 counts of murder, the AP, NBC News and Reuters are reporting.

The news organizations are pinning the report on unnamed U.S. officials.

NBC News reports Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will face six additional counts of assault and attempted murder in connection the March 11 massacre in southern Afghanistan.

Read more

8:30am

Thu March 22, 2012
The Two-Way

Video Of Copter Crash In Afghanistan Goes Viral; Army Investigating

Originally published on Thu March 22, 2012 8:31 am

From video of the incident, as the helicopter swooped low over a snowy base in Afghanistan moments before crashing in the distance.
YouTube.com

If you haven't seen it yet, you probably will soon if you're watching the cable news networks:

Read more

8:48am

Wed March 21, 2012
National Security

Accused Sergeant Heads Down A Long Legal Road

Originally published on Wed March 21, 2012 9:50 am

Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who is accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians, will have the case heard in the military justice system, which has significant differences from the civilian courts. Here, Bales is shown in a training exercise in Fort Irwin, Calif., last August.
Spc. Ryan Hallock AP

The military justice system has been crafted to work efficiently, but Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales can expect a lengthy legal process as he faces accusations that he killed 16 men, women and children in Afghanistan

Bales is locked up in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, as he and his lawyer prepare for a case that involves a horrendous mass murder. In addition, it's a stress point that could trigger retaliation against American troops and even affect the course of a U.S. war that's more than a decade old.

Read more

8:19am

Tue March 20, 2012
The Two-Way

'Justice Will Be Done,' Pentagon Official Says Of Afghan Massacre

Originally published on Tue March 20, 2012 10:35 am

Marine Corps Gen. John Allen during today's hearing.
Mandel Ngan AFP/Getty Images

6:35am

Tue March 20, 2012
The Two-Way

'All My Dreams Are Buried Under A Pile Of Dust Now,' Says Grieving Afghan

Afghan villagers prayed last week at a ceremony for the 16 victims of what officials say was an attack by a U.S. Army soldier.
Allauddin Khan AP

Pages